Oct 3, 2011

"The Edge", 30" x 40", oil


Two years ago my wife and I decided to travel to Sedona, AZ for our annual vacation. It was the first time either of us had been to a desert. Being from the east coast (suburbs of Philadelphia) I was immediately struck by the peacefulness and largeness of everything. I felt like a visitor to another planet. And like any wide-eyed alien I was eager to capture as many images with my digital camera as I could. I must have taken hundreds. Two years later I'm still finding inspiration in those images for new paintings. So, about a month ago I pulled them out again and found this image of the grand canyon that I had overlooked before, but somehow it jumped out at me this time. I painted a small 6"x8" study to get familiar with it and the experience was magical and effortless...like it had been waiting for me to discover it when I was ready to really see it. I was so happy with the study (which btw, I recently sold at the Rittenhouse Square Fine Art Show in Philadelphia!) that I couldn't wait to try a larger version. I had an older 30" x 40" painting that I wasn't happy with in storage and decided to sand it down and prime over it. Two weeks later I was looking at the same image you are looking at right now...it was done! I wonder what else is waiting to be found in that database of photos?

No comments: