Aug 17, 2011

"Star Wars" themed violin project

"Battle of Endor" (Moon world of the Ewoks)
"Coruscant" (Imperial home world)

I was invited by a local music school to participate in a charity event to raise money for the student orchestra.  About 20 artists were asked to choose a classical song or composer from a list as inspiration for a hand-painted violin. Each violin will be on display around town for a period of time, then auctioned off at the main event in October. The theme I chose was "Star Wars" by John Williams. I had painted these images before for murals so I was excited to see it on the list and to challenge myself to reproduce them on such a unique medium. Of course I had to make some adjustments and edit them to fit the size and shape, but overall they are very similar to the spirit of the originals that I created for the murals and I must say look even better in this format! I'm very happy with the result and very happy that I'm done ;0)  The sides of the violin are painted straight black and the tuning pegs are the original wood color that came with it. After a few weeks of curing I will apply a layer of satin varnish to protect it and bring out the colors a bit. All of the paint used on this project is acrylic (water-based).

If you have any questions or comments about this project please feel free to email me...I love to hear feedback!
May the force be with you.

No comments: