Jan 25, 2011

"China Beach, Point Lobos, CA"

12"x 16", oil on masonite. SOLD (but contact me for prints).

In September my wife and I took a trip out to Monterey, CA. While we were wandering around Carmel, CA one day we strolled into an art gallery...one of the many great galleries in Carmel (now one of my favorite towns!)...and we saw a painting of this exact view on the wall by a local artist. I asked the gallery curator where this location was and was told Point Lobos, just south of here..."you must check it out!". So the next day we decided to stop at Point lobos on the way down Pacific Coast Highway 1 to Big Sur National Park. That was the best advice we got the whole trip! I have never seen an area so breathtaking that close up before...and I've traveled quite a bit and been high up in the Alps and Rocky Mnts. There were areas that had "Lord of the Rings" qualities to them, especially when the fog rolled in! Anyway, I made my wife hike the entire length of the trail until the very end (several miles actually) when we finally reached the exact location that was in the painting we saw at the gallery. I snapped a a few photos from this point of view and the from them painted this painting, which I just finished today.

No comments: