Nov 1, 2008

Still Standing

18" x 24", oil on canvas. Finished studio painting. $850 USD

6"x8" study, based on reference photo. I included the study to demonstrate the process that goes into a studio piece. I usually start by taking reference photos and making small studies from them to get a feel for the composition. It also helps me to get more familiar with the elements and details of the design. Sometimes there are things that get edited out or moved around to make for a more pleasing composition or to simplify the overall design. It's like practicing a piece of music before you play it for others.





1 comment:

jane254/facebook.com said...

This is good work, John. I'm a painter too, also just recently switched from acrylic to oils, and also (except for being started out by a local artist/grandmother at 18 mo to 14 years old) self taught. I've been a lttle intimidated by putting "self-taught" when I've seen "MBA"s and "Julliard" ect., but your work is so good w/o such formal education, you give me hope that my work can succed to a beautiful professional level, too! Thanks!You are an inspiration! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work. Keep going!